Wednesday 21 July 2010

Hanging out with Keats

I have always had a soft spot for the poetry of John Keats and some of his letters. His life was a short one and certainly not one in which he came to a definite decision about a belief in God. However, some wisdom did certainly filter through his sensitive soul. I was just reading andI liked it and wanted to share:

"Do you not see how necessary a world of pain and troubles is to school the intelligence and make it a soul?"

In a way I think this is true. Any suffering is certainly an evil but, in our case, through the hope offered by the ultimate suffering we find ourselves coming closer to truth and the truth of love. Dearest St. Bernadette and so many countless others knew this better than anybody.



1 comment:

Anne said...

That is a beautiful quote! Instead of calling suffering evil, I would call it beautiful, because through it, loving accepted, we can do so much good! We can save souls including our own! "Offer it up" is the phrase that comes to my mind.

I'm jealous that you will be seeing the Pope! Congratulations!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin