Thursday 16 July 2009

18th apparition - A day for Mary

So today is the anniversary of the last of Bernadette's apparitions at Lourdes and of course it is also the feastday of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. It seems so long ago that I tried to post on the anniversary of each of the other apparitions- this one feels a little disconnected. This, the eighteenth time Bernadette saw Our Lady, was really just a silent farewell by which time the grotto was already overwhelmed by visitors and Bernadette had her vision on the opposite side of the river bank, transported in her ecstasy so that she felt she was kneeling by the niche in the rock.

"I felt that I was in front of the Grotto, at the same distance as before, I saw only the Blessed Virgin, and she was more beautiful than ever!"

Bernadette had to let go of her grotto, and a few years later of Lourdes (in the physical sense) all together and find her own path to serving God and Our Blessed Mother in her life. As we all do- the fact that she managed to do it with such completeness is a testimony to her sainthood. But hey, the rest of us can but try!

I do know that I believe completely in the phenomenal POWER of Mary's immaculate heart and that she is capable, through her son, of things that we would consider impossible. I believe, as she promised at Fatima, that she will triumph over all the evils of this world. I also know that through her, in spite of all my faults and failings I have received so many graces in my life (one of them has been stumbling on blogging as an outlet and meeting so many people living out their faith and vocations in so many different ways everyday).

To read each of the other apparitions just click on the post labelled marked apparitions

2 comments:

Ann Murray said...

Edel, I was there, and I've blogged about it and we have used the same quotation!!
Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Our lady of Lourdes, St Bernadette, pray for us.

SQUELLY said...

I was thinking of you often these past few days! I am so happy to see your beautiful photos and I echo your prayers!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin