Thursday 19 February 2009

4th Apparition - the origin of candles


Friday 19th. February was another short and silent Apparition (about thirty minutes) in which Bernadette and Our Lady continued to pray the Rosary together. The woman with the blue sash and the yellow rose between each foot would only join in with the Our Father and the Glory Be the rest of the time she would follow along on the beads with Bernadette's eyes fixed on her. Sometimes she would smile.
 
This time Bernadette went to the grotto with six women, one of whom was her Aunt. This was the beginning of the weeks of 1858 in which Bernadette would see Aquiro with the greatest frequency. She never claimed that the person she saw was the Virgin Mary and corrected those who did make any such statement. Bernadette was always very precise about the details of what happened at the grotto of Massabielle.

She came to the Grotto with a lighted blessed candle. This is origin of carrying candles and lighting them in front of the Grotto. I love the the fact that no matter the time of year or the time of day since the lighting of this first candle on the 19th of February the candles of faith have continued to burn at this little grotto. Whenever a doubt flickers across my mind I think of the candles burning beneath and close to the rock where Our Lady stood and I know that there is great faith in the world.


6 comments:

Molly said...

Isn't Lourdes an amazing place?? I was just there last year, and I plan to go back in a few years.

SQUELLY said...

It is such a beautiful place! so great you got to go! Words just don't do the job when describing it do they?

Cathy Adamkiewicz said...

I love your devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Bernadette. One of my favorites as well.

I feel an affinity for St. Bernadette. God has a tendency to remind me that he will put me in the corner with the other brooms when He doesn't need me. :)

mum2twelve said...

Thank you for this lovely blog! I don't have alot of time to read blogs but I am trying to visit the blogs of those who are following my blog. Elsa's third name is Bernadette for of course - this little Saint. I will bemaking time to come back and visit to read the lovely and inspiring posts you have here.

Blessings
Christi mum2twelve... now My Bakers Dozen.

SQUELLY said...

Thank you so much! Yes I know what you mean - I think I am in the cupboard with the rest - no where near as close to the front as Bernadette. I don't mind as long as he finds a reason to take me out for a little task once in a while. Thanks again for dropping by ;-)

SQUELLY said...

Thanks so much Christi for taking the time - my Mum is one of 11 so I am familiar with wonderful, big families and because of this appreciation the fact you took time means a lot - thank you! You are welcome here any time you can pop in! :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin